7/8 and 9/10 Prelims at Willow
Check in 4:45/ Warm up 5:00 - 5:15/ Meet 6:00 - 9:00
- Willow hosts ALL teams for this Prelim.
- Each team has a designated location around the pool so please avoid setting up chairs in a team's location (see picture below).
- Swimmers will only compete in their best 3 strokes. There are no relays. Relay teams for Finals will be picked by Coach.
- There are no ribbons since Prelims are about individual times across all heats.
- You must have participated in at least one dual meet in order to participate in Prelims.
- Please do not participate in Prelims if you are not able to attend Finals.
- Each lane will have 3 timers to ensure the most accurate time.
- Disqualification occurs during Prelims and Finals. If a swimmer makes any error during a swim (see attachment for details), they will be disqualified.
- Typically 50% of 7/8s and 9/10s get disqualified in breast and butterfly during Preliminaries. It is all about form not speed at this age.
- After each event, the results will be posted in a common area so swimmers will immediately know who advanced to Finals.
- Practices will continue through Prelims and Finals.
Who Qualifies for Finals?
- 12 & Unders - The top 12 times plus 2 alternates for each event
- 13 & Aboves - The top 6 times plus 2 alternates for each event
What is DQ?
When results are posted, you may see a DQ next to your child’s name. This means they have been disqualified and cannot compete in Finals. If a swimmer does not correctly swim a stroke (wrong kick for stroke, single hand touch for butterfly/ breast, etc…) your child will be disqualified. Many of the younger swimmers will see a DQ for breast and butterfly… it is okay! Remember swimming is supposed to be fun and a time to learn.
To make Prelims & Finals successful, we need LOTS of volunteers! You can volunteer for Finals even if you do not have a child swimming …. come support the Wahoos! If your child qualifies for Finals, you will be required to volunteer on Thursday.
Parking is in the pool parking lot, the Trafton gravel lot, the Willow park parking lot, at Red Elementary, and on the street. If you choose to park on the street, be mindful of the fire hydrants, driveways and please park facing the correct direction to avoid a ticket. The pool and surrounding lots will be busy and will fill up quickly. Lock your car and do not leave valuables visible. If the pool parking lot is wet, then it will be closed.
What happens if it is raining?
The meet will be rescheduled to the next available date.
Come Hungry and Bring Cash!
Our concession stand will be open during the meet. We will be selling burgers, hot dogs, chips, and drinks. There will also be plenty of candy and sweet treats for sale. Cash only!